A difficult task for The Bulldogs became even more of a challenge after a flying start from the league leaders.

Batley looked to frustrate table-toppers Hull KR in the opening exchanges. However, just five minutes in, Hull broke away through Ryan Shaw on the wing. Dave Scott was beaten in the 50 metre foot race and Hull were over for the opening score of the game. Jamie Ellis then added the extras for Hull to give them a six point lead after five minutes.

Then, immediately from kick off, Hull broke away again through Kieren Moss who stretched clear of the Batley defence and dived over for their second try in a minute. Again, the extras were added by Ellis and Batley had mountain to climb.

Batley seemed to claw back points instantly from kick off. A fortunate bounce gave Batley an opportunity but a last ditch Ryan Shaw interception denied the Bulldogs a try of their own.

Batley gradually began to find their feet after a nervous start and looked to cause Hull problems but resolute KR defence denied Batley.

At the other end, Hull broke through lacklustre Batley defence once more but a Hull knock-on five metres out came to Batley’s rescue.

Then, Batley had another chance to put points on the board but a forward pass by Brambani brought the move to an end.

From the following set, Hull broke through again and were over through Andrew Heffernan from close range. With the conversion again scored by Ellis, Batley found themselves behind by 18 in the opening twenty minutes.

The poor start led to the introduction of Brown, Lillycrop and Chandler midway through the first half and made an instant impact with the Bulldogs forcing a 40/20 within a minute of their introduction.

Then, the Bulldogs were over for the first time after a moment of sheer brilliance by James Brown a minute after coming on. Brown, who sold three Hull players a quite exquisite dummy before diving over for Batley’s first try of the game. Walker was on hand to add the extras to give Batley a chance.

However, the chance was seemingly short lived after Hull crashed over again out wide through Thomas Minns. Batley were punished for a weak pass by Holmes which was intercepted and after good attacking play, KR were over for their fourth try. Again, Ellis added the extra points to restore the home sides 18 point advantage.

While Batley gradually began to find their feet once more before the break, the half time hooter sounded with the scores at Hull Kingston Rovers 24-6 Batley Bulldogs.

A relatively cagey opening to the second half suddenly came to life after Hull KR scored again in the corner through Ryan Shaw’s second try of the game. From wide, Ellis’ conversion attempt drifted wide of the post.

From the following set, a KR boot was the difference between Wayne Reittie getting over for Batley after a wide kick by Walker was kicked behind. Soon after, Batley came again but once more Hull defended superbly to deny Batley from scoring.

Within a minute, Hull broke away through Nick Scruton. The ball was played wide and Liam Salter bundled his way over for KR’s sixth try of the game to put the game out of Batley’s reach. Ellis missed the conversion and Hull led 32-6.

Soon after, KR rubbed more salt in Batley wounds, scoring again from close range. This time, Batley were outnumbered out wide and Chris Clarkson was over to extend Hull’s lead. Ellis made no mistake this time, converting for Hull.

Batley were then picked apart again by deadly attacking play. Gaps appeared in a damaged Batley defensive line and Hull were over for another try, this time through Liam Salter. Ellis added the extra two points for Hull.

Ten minutes from time, Wayne Reittie pounced on a high Brambani kick to add some respectability to Batley’s score with a try in the corner. Brambani was unable to add the extra points.

Within a matter of minutes, Batley were over again, playing their best rugby of the game by far in the closing stages. A strong run by Tom Holmes allowed the ball to be offloaded to Dane Manning who was able to score his second try of the season. On this occasion, Brambani’s conversion was successful.

In the closing moments, Batley were again found outnumbered in defence and KR were over from close range through James Donaldson. The conversion was added once more by Ellis to bring up fifty points for Hull.

In the final exchanges, Batley were denied another try after an interception by Nick Scruton and referee brought the game to an end.

FULL TIME: Hull Kingston Rovers 50-16 Batley Bulldogs.